ch 3
Emilia
We are currently seating in small private conference room waiting for Mrs. Grey’s lawyer to show up,
I never characterised Mrs. Grey as someone who could wait for anyone, clearly this is important to her.
the door slams open and a lady rushes in a black white dress, “I’m sorry for the delay, Mrs. Grey.” she says as she takes off her bag and sits beside me.
Mrs. Grey simply nods understanding.
She turns her face to me, “you must be Emilia Clark.” she says with a smile offering me a handshake, I shook it, “yes, nice to meet you-:“she supplies, “Helen Wilson.”
“Helen Wilson.” I repeated.
“so, let’s begin....the contract. “she says as she reaches out for some files in her bag and places them on the table.
“Do I need to explain what this arrangement is about miss Clark?” the lawyer asks, I shook my head vigorously.
“very well then, according to the contract prior to signing, you’ve willingly submitted to a health test, you are as well to provide an accurate and genuine previous medical records and any unknown family hereditary illness,” she says and pauses.
I nodded understanding.
“you are very well entitled to a sum of 20 thousand dollars monthly allowance which is exclusive to your final payment which is the sum of five hundred thousand dollars.”
I almost choked on my seat but managed to retain my composure, I cleared my dry throat and motioned for her to continue, “do you have any objections or any more demands you would like to add.” the lawyer asks.
What else could I possibly ask for? With all this money I could become the next big thing in America.
I turned my eyes swiftly to Mrs. Grey, her eyes were glued to her phone. Helen clears her throat and continues, “prior to the contract to be signed, you will be placed under the residence and care of the Grey’s, in simple words you will be living with the Grey’s throughout the period of your pregnancy.” she says and leans back in her chair probably waiting for my reaction.
“wait?! What? no one told me about that?” I bark turning my eyes to Mrs. Grey waiting for an explanation, she lifted her piercing eyes up to me,” I don’t want the media or anyone finding out about this arrangement Miss Clark and the Grey residence is the safest place for you and the baby.”
“I am not comfortable with staying away from my family.”
This is ridiculous.
“I am not concerned with your comfort ability Miss Clark, I am interested in the comfort of my grandchild which is the sole reason we are here.”
“I am the supposed Baby’s mother, I have a right-:“she cuts me off, “you’re the surrogate Miss Clark, you have no rights.” she grits,” I suggest you walk away, if this will be a problem for you.”
I looked away, I shouldn’t be surprised, the Grey’s are rumoured to be a very cunning and manipulative family.
“moving on, prior to the contract to be signed, after the birth of the supposed child you’re not to make eye contact with the baby, in simple words you are not allowed to see the supposed child after delivery.”
I stared in disbelief, “how am I suppose to go through all that pain and not have any connection with my baby.”
“you are the surrogate Miss Clark.” Mrs. Grey reminded me once again in a high pitched voice.
I sucked in.
“that being cleared let’s get back to the contract,” Helen says trying to retain back the decorum of the room, I nodded motioning her to continue.
“prior to the contract to be signed, After the delivery of the child, you are entitled to the full payment and thereafter you are to transfer all the rights over the supposed child to the Grey’s and never to make any form of contact to with child.”
She pauses and She flips the page continuing ”prior to the contract to be signed miss Clark you’ve the right to walkway if you’re no longer comfortable with the contract, but immediately after your insemination and the egg is fertilised the right will be terminated and the Greys are entitled to sue for breach of contract if you attempt to run, abort or lay motherly claim to the child.”
I nod.
“you’re entitled to a proper dieting and proper housing suitable for the baby, any action which is seen as detriment and danger to the health of the supposed child like smoking, drinking alcohol, drugs and so on is prohibited.” she smiles, "is that clear Miss Clark?” she asks.
I nod.
“The Grey’s are entitled to provide you with everything you might need during the period of your pregnancy.” she closes her file and looks up to me, "Any questions miss Clark?”
I sucked in a deep breath trying to take in everything the lawyer had just said, how am I suppose to hide my pregnancy for 9 months without my parents finding out? that’s the part that borders me most..“Miss Clark, remember you can pull out right now if you’re no longer comfortable with the arrangement, "the lawyer reminds me.
“it’s fine,” I whispered.
“very well then.” the lawyer says gathering the documents on the table and sticking them back into her bag, “A copy of the contract will be available to you in our next meeting that will be after your insemination.”
I nodded.
“that will be all for today.” she says standing up from her chair, she exchanged pleasantries with Mrs. Grey before leaving the room, leaving us completely alone,” the insemination begins next week.” Mrs. Grey speaks up.
“what about Damien?” I had to ask, I shouldn’t be the only one going through it alone after all he’s the father of the supposed child.
“what about Damien?” she repeated.
“isn’t he suppose to be fully part of this, it’s his baby after all?”
“Damien is fully aware of the contract and in due time, I will arrange for you two meet, for now, I want you to focus on your contract. Are we clear miss Clark?” she asks.
I nodded, "yes, ma’am.”
After the meeting, I took a cab and headed straight home, "Amber.” I called as I stepped into my apartment, I hanged my coat on the foyer and made it towards the living room, Amber was seated on the sofa flipping through a fashion magazine, "how was it?” she asks lifting her curious eyes to me.
I sat next to her raising my knees on the sofa," I am not sure Amber." I sighed..
She dropped the magazine and turned to me,“Emmy, the Greys aren’t exactly the kind of people you would want mess with.” she said, "there's still time for you to back away and forget this foolishness. "she says.
I shook me head,“I need the money Amb, my parents aren’t exactly earning enough to pay bills and the numerous bank loans we owe.”
She nodded understanding,“have you meet Damien?”
I shook my head,” Mrs. Grey says I will once the contract is complete.” I sighed.
She raised an eye at me mischievously, "you do know you’re getting pregnant for a dead man, right?” she teased, I threw her a glare before we both burst into an uncontrollable laughter.
“we shouldn’t be laughing, this is serious?” I uttered as soon as the laughter died down a little. she gives me a warm smile changing the subject,” Kyle was here and he was asking after you.” she says,” he likes you Amber and I know you like him too, why won’t you give it a chance?”
I threw her sceptical look, Kyle is Amber’s big brother who I happen to really like a lot,” it would never work Amber, especially now-:“
she supplies, "you're having a baby.”
I nodded,” exactly. Its too much baggage.”
Comments
Post a Comment