ch6

Emilia
The next day at noon the driver came to pick me up at exactly noon as Mrs. Grey had said.
“Mr. Grey will see you now.” A lady in blue and white uniform informed, I nodded and gathered myself up,“this way please,” she said gesturing me towards a black door and without saying a word she grabbed the handle firmly and pushed the door open as I stepped in my eyes swept through the room.
I gasped impulsively at its enormity, the room is like a perfect magazine cover. The king sized bed had cream shirts inlaid with a fine green silk, leaves embroidered so delicately that they might have landed there in spring and just sunk in, but I know they took hundreds of hours to sew. The white curtains are linen, the kind of white that is untouched by hand and then my eyes landed on a man standing and looking out the window, there were two male nurses standing beside him like two human robots, “sit.” he ordered without taking his eyes off the windowpane. A slight shiver passed through my spine at the intensity of his voice and without saying a word I sat on the empty couch quietly.
There was a deep silent in the room you could clearly hear a pin drop, “what’s your name?” he asks his voice breaking through the silence.
“Emilia.”
“you’re Italian?” He asked, his voiced pitched with curiosity.
“partly Italian, my mom is Italian and my dad is American,” I said still not sure where this conversation is heading to, I mean the guy as not even looked at me or taking his eyes off the windowpane, “Mrs. Grey said you wanted to talk,“I said hitting straight to the point.
Any more second in here and I would completely lose it.
Silence
“are you pregnant yet?” he asked
“I don’t know, I haven’t done the test yet.” I said.
“why not?”
For someone who wasn’t so thrilled about the whole idea, he sounds really optimistic.
”I don’t know.” I whispered, “I thought you didn’t want anything to do with it?” I opened my big mouth.
“I don’t esp-:“he starts but cut himself off and inhaled,“why are you doing this?” he asked.
I narrowed my brow“what exactly?”
“why are you a surrogate?” he asked his voice filled with disgust,“I-:“I began but he cut me off, “I have been really curious as to why anyone could go into such a business? Do you have any self-respect? Are you a gold digger? You couldn’t just get a simple job, you had to settle for something as belittling as this.” he snapped.
I felt a sharp shooting pain past through my heart at his words,“I needed the money,“I said embracing myself.
He scoffed,“pathetic, you could make money from anything else and yet you choose this? You clearly are a gold digger, with what I am sensing a truly desperate one who is willing to do anything for money.” he spat bitterly,“where does she pick them from?“he muttered under his breath.
Say something Emilia, bark at him, scream do something, anything is better than being quiet and saying nothing you can’t let him talk to you like that, my inner voice screamed as I listened to him go on and on, but I felt my guilt taking a bigger part of me, tears threatening to escape, he doesn’t know anything about me he as no right to judge me or belittle me like this,“you don’t know anything about me?“I choked out.
He scoffed and turned but his eyes were looking in the opposite direction, he moved slightly and in a flash, the male nurses rushed and held to him leading him slowly to the bed where I was, something just wasn’t right about him,“get out.” he boomed suddenly startling me.
Without saying a word I picked up my bag and stormed out the door, once I was out of the room I shut the door behind me and sunk down against the wall letting out all the tears I held in, I wasn’t crying because of how cruel he said does words to me, I was crying because I knew he was right.
A few minutes later...
I don’t know how long I stood there crying but it felt like forever,“miss?“a voice called and I instantly wiped my tears and looked up.
“I am sorry, I will take my-:“she cut in,“Don’t let it border you, dear.”
I sobbed,“huh?”
She smiled,“you’ve been standing here crying for the past hour, he clearly said something mean to you.“she said, I shook my head hysterically,” no, I should take my leave now it’s getting late,“I said inhaling the sobs that were silently escaping out of my mouth,“thank you,“I said and turned to leave.
“you shouldn’t take whatever he said to heart dear those are just his pain talking,” she said stopping me mid-way..
I scoffed mistily,” what pain could he possibly have that justifies him to belittle people.“I spat as my emotion was now getting the best of me, I didn’t wait for her to answer before storming out the door. Deciding this is it, I was done with the Grey’s.
_____

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Grey Book 1

ch4

ch5